Based largely on authentic wartime memories, Julius is the main character in this captivating story. On his last, momentous odyssey, courageous Julius sets off into the great unknown, coming face-to-face with the injustices and ambiguities of life from an animal’s perspective.
Julius was born in the prewar years, and escapes death by a lucky chance. Rescued by John, a gardener, Julius lives with him and his family through the dangers and privations of World War Two, and when John fails to return from the hostilities, the fatherless family is forced to live through tumultuous times. By the time that peace returns, Julius is getting old, and, when it seems that he will have to share his home and beloved family with a most unwelcome arrival – a dog – Julius decides to follow the Gladlight, wherever it may lead him. During his journey, Julius has many adventures and learns much, so that, by the time he reaches his final destination, he is a wise and philosophical cat, with a message to pass on ...
- An intriguing and absorbing story - with a serious message
- All of the cats in the story are based on actual animals
- Encourages a more sensitive understanding of the animals who share our world
- Based largely on real-life events and experiences
- All of the fascinating images meticulously drawn and painted in great detail
- Eloquently demonstraes the importance of a natural balance in the world
- An evocative and nostalgic glimpse of times-gone-by
- All countryside scenes are real locations in England’s green and pleasant land
- A demonstration of how it’s never too late to be inspired!
- Can you spot Mr Fox in every one of the delightful pictures ...?
About the author
Now in her late 70s, Mary Dowson has always loved to draw and paint, a skill she has passed on to several of her seven children. Mary’s experiences as a young girl in the war prompted her to write Because this is our home …, which is entirely based on true events.
Mary says that getting her book published now just goes to show that it’s never too late to be inspired!
Veloce Publishing's Kim Masters reads the first chapter of Because this is our home … .